Girls Write Out
Monday, May 07, 2012

Our little Alexa Grace spent the night with us Friday night. The picture above is at our mother/daughter tea (I spoke and she listened intently which was kind of fun.) I've come to the conclusion that storytelling is an inherent gift. I think Alexa is going to be a novelist like her Mimi! I usually sleep with her so she doesn't wake up frightened. Okay, maybe it's really for me because I get all kinds of wonderful snuggles in the night. They make the LACK of sleep well worth it! :)

We were snuggled in bed with the lights out and she demanded a story so I began to weave a yarn with her as the hero, and she teaches her best friend how to swim. And she's such an amazing swimmer (in my story) that everyone at school wants her to teach them too. At first this was a perfect story. She asked me to tell it again so I obliged two more times. About three sentences into the fourth retelling, I'm informed that I'm telling it wrong. And she proceeds to tell me how it REALLY happened. LOL Her story involved her riding her bike all by herself (she's 3) to her friend's house and swimming in THAT pool instead of hers. She got downright irate that I wasn't telling her the story that was running in her head after I got her creative juices flowing.

I'm still chuckling over it and it's four days later. I so want to nurture that creative spirit in her, but I don't really remember my own two kids having such a vivid imagination. So I'd love some advice on how to nurture this. Maybe write her stories down for her as she tells them to me? Or does art help nurture that as well? If you have any advice, I'd love for you to share it with me!


Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:09 PM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tita is a 12 year old that loves to tell stories. ever since she was old ebough to talk shes been sharing her unique imagination (i've known her since day one of her arrival). We'd ecourage her by telling us more, by the time she was about 3, we taught her to 'draw'. she began 'drawing' her stories and till this day, she continues on doing so. hope it works for u. my niece is two years old and she prefers bugs over story telling. lol!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh that's a great idea, Ruby! Thanks!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Alexa's growing up so fast! Encourage her to tell YOU her stories. And keep telling her stories. I was like her--always having a story in my head. My father was a great storyteller, and my mother made sure I studied proper English and spelling. Don't worry about Punky. The gift is in her, and it's going to come out.

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

You might also want to write down what she tells you and track how she grows as a writer. It could also make a nice keepsake for you and for Donna. :)

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Mary-Louise said...

We play a game in the car, where we start with a sentence and take turns telling the story one sentence at a time until we run out of ideas. It is so much fun, and sometimes downright ridiculous. One person has a great idea, but it is not their turn and by the time the story gets back to them, they have to think of something else, because the story has taken a totally different turn and the original idea no longer fits. :)

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

I don't doubt that storytelling is in the genes, but I think all kids are storytellers. When we're young, the lines of imagination and reality are blurred.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Great ideas, friends! Thank so much.

Timothy,I"m a kid magnet. Love kids, work in the nursery, had 2 of my own. I've never seen a 3 year old tell stories like she does.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

You're so right, Colleen. I was considered the weirdo because I was always making up stories--actually plays--in which my friends acted. Not every child is a storyteller by a LONG shot. My little friends didn't make up rhymes or stories or songs. They looked to me for that, as Punky's friends will look to her. She has your special gift.

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

Oh and art definitely nurtures stories. Ask her to tell you a story about pictures she draws. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz