Girls Write Out
Thursday, May 11, 2006

Attention all you landscape artists. We need help.

Okay, here’s the deal. We had huge shrubs in front of our home. Huge, as in, dark and foreboding. The perfect look if I was a suspense writer, but well, it just doesn’t work for lady lit. Soooooo my husband and a neighbor tackled those suckers and yanked them out of the ground. It looks wonderful. The only drawback is now I have to keep my windows clean, but it’s a small price to pay.

The area sort of curls around the front. There are a few smaller bushes, nicely trimmed that will stay. But we have to figure out what else to put in that area. Something LOW MAINTENANCE. Though I would love to have a front yard bursting with colorful flowers, it just ain’t gonna happen. I could kill a cactus.

As a matter of fact, if a wildflower sprouted up in our yard, we’d throw a block party. The sad thing is our neighbors treat their lawn to kill off dandelions, and I can’t even grow ‘em. With a sorrowful glance I watch them die a slow death. They go from being sturdy, healthy plants to all gnarly-looking. It’s pathetic, really.

So as you can see, we need you. Our yard needs you. I know if we end up having the worst lawn in the neighborhood, you just couldn't live with yourself. So how about it? Any suggestions--besides an appointment with Dr. Phil?

Diann Hunt  
posted at 7:27 AM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I have ten black thumbs. I'd kill for one green one! :o) But the one thing that grows in my yard is azaleas. I don't water them, I don't feed them, I just stick 'em in the ground. God does the rest. Of course, this IS Georgia and azaleas love it here.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Chaos-Jamie said...

Hostas. They just keep coming back. Bigger every year. Grow in sun or shade.

I love to plant tulips and dafodills (you only have to put them in once) but the durn squirrels keep eating my bulbs.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I love those red twig dogwood bushes. they add nice color even in the winter.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I don't know anything about Japanese Maple, but it sounds cool!

We were thinking hostas. We have a couple of hostas in other places around the house, and they look great with no help from me. :-) We're also considering ornamental grasses.

Azaleas are gorgeous. I'm not sure how they would do here. I'll ask the folks at the plant nursery.

I like your idea of the red twig dogwood, too, Colleen. I'll check that out!

Thanks for the ideas! There's hope for our yard yet! :-)

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

Rocks. I really love cool rock gardens with hostas and/or well-trimmed evergreens. However, my dad (a landscape architect) has done amazing things with big rocks. Trust me ... you cannot kill rocks. How many times can I say rocks in one paragraph? Just don't do what my Great Aunt does and stick silk flowers all over your yard. ewww...

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

What region do you live in? Uou say can't grow azaleas, so, hmm, I don't know, but in the South, there's always kudzu! : /

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

Rocks reproduce, though, Jaime. That's why you have big rocks and little rocks.



: )

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL, Jaime! Now rocks, I can do. In fact, I do have small rocks out there. Nice shiny white pebbles. Still an occasional weed manages to poke through. Oh, have I mentioned I CAN grow weeds? Sigh.

Margo, we're in the Midwest. So we don't have that many months to worry about the pretty landscaping. Kudzu--never heard of it. Sounds like a Japanese entree. :-)

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh I love azaleas! And rhododendrons. You can have both here, Di. They are gorgeous!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How about hydrangeas? I kill plastic plants, but have kept the azealas and hydrangeas in my flower garden alive for 4 years now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz